Tuuk

Default OT - Lousy Canadian tipping

Yes, I saw that along the Trent Canal this summer, especially Georgian Bay,
Boisle Island. I was docking or anchoring there and saw many boats dock,
leave their garbage, stay a few nights, and not pay nothing. It is an honor
system. American boats were there also, doing the same thing.

Tipping is not mandatory. When a restaurant hangs a schedule on the wall
regarding tipping, that is going too far. It is something that is earned by
the waiter. Should they require money for nothing or for no service, they
should just join the welfare rolls. Sometimes I tip very well, sometimes not
at all. More than a few times, I have had servers walking out of the
restaurant after me with their hands out, asking the same question "what was
wrong with my service, where is my money"?.
Mostly in New York, Niagara Falls, Key West, Key Largo, Toronto, Los
Angeles, all these places are "get you once, get you good" towns. The
tourist towns know that your typically going to visit one time so they know
they will never see you again, they try to maximize the tip from you,
suckers. This is the attitude.
More than a dozen times I have been driven to the airport by some van, they
always have a "tips appreciated" sign in the van, and always have their hand
out at the end of your journey. One time, a driver drove me home, and others
were in the van, I asked what the tip should be, someone said around 15
bucks, someone said they were not tipping, I gave the guy 7 bucks, it was
only a half hour drive for me, the service was 70 bucks to begin with, he
threw my luggage right in the middle of my lawn. Right in front of the other
passengers. So how much is enough to tip? Should be nothing. Remuneration or
compensation should be part of the employers responsibility. Not the
customer indirectly. These people are beggars. When I go to the barbers, I
see the booths set up with their jars of small bills, obviously there so you
can see it is their tip jar. Beggars. If they deserve a tip, they get one,
but it is not mandatory. It is a shameful thing. I wouldn't want to be one
of those beggars. Dont give me that **** that they are lower income, their
income is counting on the generosity of the customer. Give your head a
shake. Both the U.S. and Canada are social countries. Should they need
welfare, it is there. So your paying them for their ability to find or seek
a good job should you tip or not.
Tips are deserving, not demanding.

"Ryk" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 07:58:16 -0400, in message

"Jerry" wrote:

On more than one occasion I have seen Canadian snowbirds anchor off a

marina
then, after dark, tie up to an outside slip, hook up their electric,

spend
the night then depart before business hours the next morning.

On more than one occasion I have seen US boats moor at Canadian
National Park docks without paying the fees that are due. The
collection is based on an honour system deposit box.

I don't think either handful of anecdotes proves much.

Ryk

--
Unfortunately this address has been overrun by SPAM.
If you want to be sure I see email from you, then