Armond Perretta[_2_] Armond Perretta[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone have "Local Knowledge" of Bermuda

wrote:
... I'm looking for
cheap (but not flea-bag) shoreside lodging near an anchorage in
Bermuda. (Right now, it's looking like, after checking in at St.
George, we'd push on to Hamilton, where the opportunities for lodging
appear to be greater).

Each year many yachts race and cruise to Bermuda, and it usually happens
that there is strong competition for the facilities of the type you are
seeking. Essentially there is no "cheap" in Bermuda. The sailing season to
Bermuda coincides with the tourist season, so you will encounter high season
prices. However it may be that the sluggish economy will affect Bermuda as
it seems to have done other areas. I have made quite a few passages to
Bermuda from the US East Coast, 3 in my own boat and others as crew. My
most recent visit was Summer 2008 for just about 2 months.

As for "near an anchorage," there are many more locations in Bermuda other
than the usual suspects: St. George's and Hamilton. St. George's is
interesting and crowded, and definitely a place to visit, but you will have
to put up with the "mob" atmosphere associated with the new high speed
ferries that run all day. There are, however, waterfront hotels that have
associated mooring facilities ( I have no direct experience with these).
There are also quite a few low key guest accommodations off the beaten path,
but none are "budget." In Hamilton, you will probably have to choose
between the RBYC and the Dinghy Club for moorage. There are other
"freelance" options, but getting ashore to link up with others is not simple
unless you are associated with one or the facilities. Another idea is Salt
Kettle on the southern side of Hamilton Harbor. I know folks who used this
setup in a manner similar to what you have in mind, but I have never tried
to hotels in that area myself. In all of these cases, this is the deluxe
version of Bermuda and there are probably few if any bargains.

I have visited just about every harbor and cove in Bermuda over the years,
and once away from St. Georges and Hamilton, I am almost always the only US
flagged vessel. I particularly like the West End and Somerset, and you
might look into the Mangrove Bay area for starters. Relatively low key and
very cordial, with just about everything you might want and a convenient
ferry stop to Hamilton, St. Georges, etc. I have never encountered another
"Yank" here. Another place that might meet your needs is Grotto Bay. The
hotel itself is quite nice if a little out of the way, and there is a
convenient anchorage just off the little beach. We were very surprised when
we visited by boat, and we thought this would make a good spot when staying
ashore. I would look at this possibility closely.

I'm also looking for tips on:
o Travel while on the island (mopeds? bicycles? taxis-only?)

Mopeds and taxis, but don't overlook the great ferry system and public
transit. We avoid taxis in general, and usually rent a cycle for only one
day. The ferries would allow your shoreside visitors to get a good idea of
the scene on the water without the associated complexity of using your own
boat.

o Where best to reprovision -- i.e. food, fuel, water

There is no "best" and you will pay 300% of US prices in many cases. You
can get provisions, fuel, water, etc, just about everywhere. I like the
market in St. Georges, but the facilities in Hamilton are also good. In
Hamilton there is a very fancy setup where you can actually tie alongside
for fuel, water, provisions, liquor, etc. This is a luxury spot however and
there's no getting around the high cost.

o Where to pump out

Check with officials when you check in at Ordnance Island. Avoid any chance
of infractions because enforcement is strict.

o Where to repair (in case something breaks along the way)

There are first rate facilities at St. Georges, Hamilton, and Dockyard.
Just about anything you will need, including machinery, sails, canvas,
hauling, rigging, etc.

Note 1: I have already received and read Bermuda Dept. of Tourism's
"Bermuda" guide, which describes entry procedures, general anchorage,
VHF stations, and so forth. It's an excellent publication, with tons
of information concisely formatted. So, that's not the sort of stuff
I'm looking for.

Look for a copy of "Yachtsman's Guide to Bermuda." It's out of print but
you could get lucky. The first $10,000 gets my own personal copy (smile).

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat