Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Dismanteling a Johnson F7B-903 impeller cooling pump

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:39:23 -0700 (PDT), Len
wrote:

On 31 mrt, 21:08, Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:12:51 -0700 (PDT), Len
wrote:

The shaft will have to be pressed out of the bearings but (if I
remember correctly) it isn't difficult.

Thanks Bruce,
By not difficult you mean I might be able to push the shaft out using
some leverage?
If so I'm planning to construct some tool with a seat on the shaft
which I can push down with a lever.
The question is can I produce the necessary kgf's to get things
moving.

is no reason for a pump to leak after a few hours of running. Most of
them don't leak after several years. Examine the shaft for wear and by
the way, parts are expensive.
I had a similar problem and discovered that the people that re-built
the pump simply installed new seals and the problem was the shaft
which had a groove worn in it where the seal was mounted. A new shaft
was a hundred dollars, or so, if I remember.

I hope I'll be able 1) to move the shaft 1mm up or down so
the surface in contact with the seal will be "new" and therefore
undamaged
or 2) ask a machineshop to remove a tiny bit on the spot where the
seal-
ring touches, afterwards polish it to a stunning shine....

I am looking forward to the several years of use without leaking like
you mentioned....

Thanks for your time.
Len.
on board s/v Present
At the moment in Carriacou

As I remember I disassembled the two pumps on the dock with hand tools
- probably a plastic faced hammer and a punch, and after getting new
parts reassembled them the same way. A week or so later we departed
Singapore bound for Phuket, Thailand - say a thousand miles. Since we
reached Thailand the boat is being "renovated", for want of a better
word, so the engines have only been run for a bit every few weeks. No
leaks to date.

I see no reason that you can't rebuild them with common hand tools.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)