MMC MMC is offline

Default my next dream boat...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:41:29 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

Agreed. Shallow water is the reason for my preference of a swing keel. I'm
just off the Indian River Lagoon,

Do you happen to know the best spot to watch a shuttle launch from a
boat with 5 1/2 ft draft? I'd really like to get over there for a
launch one of these days.

Just North of the locks at Port Canaveral are a series of spoil islands and
the third one (heading North) has deep water on it's South side. Good place
for raft ups as the island usually has enough beach for a bond fire and a
bunch of people hanging out. Oops, just checked it out on Google Earth and
it looks like the beach was gone when the photos were done which I think
would have been 2005.
I don't think it's in the security zone for launches but it might be.
Another, and probably better place to watch a launch would be Titusville
City Marina. You could anchor off if there are no slips available and dinghy
to the marina.
If you decide to do it let me know and if I'm in town, I'll buy you a beer.
Just on the mainland side of the NASA causeway is Spaceport Florida, which
is pretty interesting and at the other end is the KSC visitor center and if
you're into the space program it's worth the trip. Tons (lots of tons) of
rockets and such, also I beleive they do a bus tour of the space center.
Used to work at Cape Canaveral AFS so I got to see all that stuff for free.