Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Dismanteling a Johnson F7B-903 impeller cooling pump

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:12:51 -0700 (PDT), Len
wrote:

Hello ng,

I hate it when this happens: the impellerpump starts to leak salt
water on my engine and everywhere in my bilge.

On my Peugeot 60hp marinised diesel I have a Johnson F7B-903
impellerpump delivering seawater to the heat exchanger. The water- /
oil- simmerrings in this pump start to leak after a few hundred hours.
I had the pump revised/overhauled by a machine shop for good money
only 50 engine hours ago but now I have the same problem again.

I guess I am going to take the shaft out and polish it till it shines
before I put in new oil-simmerrings

Does anybody know if I can dismantle this pump without any
sophisticated tools like a hydraulic press or whatever?
Can I push the shaft out by hand or with a plastic hammer?

If you are in the USA you might want to give these guys a call:

http://www.depcopump.com/

They stock all kinds of pumps and are expert at rebuilding them. You
should also consider that you may have some other issue that is
causing the pump seals to fail prematurely.