Doug Dotson

Default ICW and Dry Tortugas

We noticed no serious shoaling in GA when we came north
last April. We did run aground crossing the Savannah River,
but that was due to an exceptionally low tide due to a spring
tide. Channel was plenty deep just a few yards from where we
bumped. No real problems anywhere else.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

My husband came back from the marina and said the guy who used to be
across the dock from us told him that a) the ICW has shoaled so that
you can't use it anymore, particularly in GA and thus not from the
hurricane and b) that no one is allowed to anchor in the Dry Tortugas
anymore. I'm pretty sure my SIL went down there fairly recently.

What does anyone else know about this. Particularly

ICW in Norfolk
Dismal Swamp (which I've been told the Corps of Engineers is working
on)
Elizabeth City Docks
Alligator River
Belhaven
Oriental
Beaufort NC and Bogue Sound area

As a result, he is determined that we should go outside from
Charleston to Florida. I'm not very happy about doing that. I can
manage up to 18-22 hours, but not longer because we don't handle
sleeping in shifts well (him more than me) and I feel that our
judgements (both of us) will be impaired if we are short of sleep.
And I think it will take us longer than that to go from Charleston to
the St. Mary's River (just the ocean part is 145 nm, not counting
going out and coming in).

I've suggested instead Port Royal to St. Simons, which from marina to
marina is about 110 nm. and I think we could do that starting during
one day and arriving the next day.

grandma Rosalie