Chuck Bollinger

Default Dinghy registration

Jimmy wrote:
Hi Folks,

Up here in Canada (at least in Ontario) boats powered under 10hp are not
required to be registered. This is the case with my 10 foot RIB and 9.9
outboard motor, which I use as a tender when sailing my big boat. No
name on the dinghy, no registration numbers.

In a trip through the eastern USA to Florida, am I likely to encounter
problems with local police or coat guard because the dinghy is
unregistered, unlicensed, etc.?

Anyone experience problems with the local authorities?

Warning and tips appreciated.

Jimmy

In Washington State, a small boat with a low-powered engine which is used
exclusively as a tender for a yacht is allowed without separate registration. In
this state, the name of the yacht is used as, or included in, a name painted on
the dinghy where it is visible when the dinghy is in the water.

We are "Vala" and that's the name on the dinghy. Another guy's boat is "Zia"
and he labeled his dinghy "Zia's". An old guy some time ago had a boat named
"Nimbus" and he called his dinghy "Squally" and I guess got away with it.

But I stress that this is only good going from the boat to shore (officially).
I've not heard of anyone being hassled putting out crab pots or providing diver
service or exploring a harbor. But if you get caught taking your boat through
the locks (see below - what was he thinking?) then it is a separate motorcraft
and needs to be licensed separately.