Rosalie B.

Default Dinghy dock charges was Skull Creek Marina complaint

x-no-archive:yes "Steve" wrote:

Sounds outrageous! But I'm not surprised.

We've always avoided that area because they have so many restrictions
there. We only stayed at Outdoor Resorts once, and after that we
stayed other places.

This last summer, I gave up my slip at the local marina because I was going
to be off cruising around Puget Sound for 3 months. And the marina is 110%
booked for the whole summer. As it happened, several times I anchored off
the marina and ask to land by dingy at their dock (squeeze in space) while I
was off running errands for a day plus an overnite ashore. $5/day or $50 for
the month. Wow! And I'm a regular customer, having spent the past 10 months
renting a slip there.

There are various charges for dinghy docks on the east coast. Even
Fernandina has started charging. Usually you get some services with
your dinghy fee - in Key West we could dispose of our trash and get
water. Some places the trash and use of the showers is extra. Some
places the dinghy dock is free unless you want to use the hot tub/pool
and/or the washers.

In Elizabeth City they have free docks - no electricity. There are
athletic clubs that will let you use the showers for $3.50 -
$4.00/day.

Belhaven has free dinghy docks but if you are there after dark you
risk having your boat confiscated and it is a long walk to the grocery
store.

Oriental also has a free city dock which I suppose could be used by
dinghies. We are too big to fit there.

People anchor off Swansboro too, and I don't think there is a charge
for landing a dinghy. I'm not sure about the charges as Beaufort NC
and Wrightsville Beach.

I don't think there is a charge at the dinghy dock in Georgetown (SC)
but I don't think there are any services there either.

I understand that Palmer Johnson in Thunderbolt doesn't allow dinghies
to dock.

Fernandina has completely changed their dinghy dock rates. Dinghy
dockage is $2 + tax/day. Showers are $1.50/person. Garbage is 50
cents a bag. Weekly rate is $10 + tax without showers, and $20 +tax
with showers (up to 3 people) and trash disposal. This is as of Jan
1, 2002. Monthly is $35 without showers and $60 with.

In St. Augustine, dinghy dockage is $5.00 per day and not seven as I
thought. ($25/week or $90/month) This says includes amenities, which
I guess are showers and trash disposal. Internet connection is $1.50
per session which I thought was outrageous.

In Daytona, the dinghy dock charge at Caribbean Jacks is $10/day which
includes the showers, heated pool and hot tub etc. although I've heard
that if you just want to tie up and go to the Publix and not use any
of the facilities it is free.

Titusville allows free dinghy dock tie up unless you want a key to the
showers for which you have to pay something.

In Key West, the dinghy dock by the old turtle kraals in Key West
Bight is $4/day, $20/week and $60/month. You fight for your place and
then fight to get out again - have to have your sticker and leave the
motor in the water.

Sometimes these people can be very nice but when it comes to the fees, it is
literally cast in stone.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

grandma Rosalie