Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default OT Computer Memory (was OT but very useful...)

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:33:37 +0000, Larry wrote:

What I made was a 3-transistor TRF AM radio with a regenerative detector in
a tiny plastic box my mother threw away. High impedance crystal earphones
in ham magazines were a dollar and I had those for crystal radio projects.
The new receiver had a loopstick antenna and with 2 RF stages it was very
sensitive, though not very selective.

I wore it to school just as the World Series started so I could hear the
ball game during the boring classes in our elementary school. I got
caught, of course, but when the principal found out I had built the radio
out of these new transistors, he was so fascinated listening to the ball
game on it I wasn't punished. As it was the only transistor radio in our
town, I ended up in the newspaper showing it off.

You know you're "old" when your new stuff is now a museum!....dammit.

http://www.ck722museum.com/

Good stuff. Some time around 1956 I got my hands on a 2N107 which
cost 98 cents and had specs similar to the CK722. I took a crystal
set that I had built previously, bread boarded onto a short pice of 2
x 4 lumber, and added a 1 transistor audio amplifier. It made a huge
difference in the audio level of the ear phones. A friend of mine
asked to borrow it once and I found out later that he had entered it
in the local science fair and won first prize with it.