Jimmy

Default Dinghy registration

Well John, truth be told my experience in the USA has been markedly
simliar to yours, and many of the folks I know report similarly. I
intend to get through the USA as quickly as I possibly can and move on.
Cheerful banana republics are FAR more hospitable than most places in
the USA, thanks to the egocentric gestapo like tactics we (and a lot of
my friends and neighbours) have encountered in America.

Local bubba cops who believe that they are the "utlimate authority" when
in reality they are too ignorant to even know that they are ignorant.
I've been ORDERED to do stupid things by these anal orifices (like
extinguish an anchor light while anchored so that I don't confuse
people!!) once too often. Hence the reason for my post. It may be a
futile effort but attempting to avoid the dickheads is my aim. Fat
chance..too many of them. SO different to cruising in Canada.

Gotta wonder where the "Land of the Free" idea came from...or where it
went huh? And now the "patriot act". Nothing beats taking away freedom
and calling it patriotic! ~laughing and if you argue, you're (gasp)
unpatriotic. Man, they have the whole country by the balls.

Now watch all the antics as Americans attempt to defend their fictious
belief in their non-existing freedom. Folks, before you react foolishly,
recognise a couple of things:

1) It's true and you know it.
2) It's YOUR country and YOUR government. Only YOU can do something
about it.

Bitching at me will have no impact on YOUR mess. It'll just make you
feel vaguely better.

So don't worry, this Canuck will race through your country so fast you
won't even know (or care) that I was there. Suits me to a tee too.

John wrote:

Hi Jimmy,
I am a canuck who had his sailboat in Seattle and took a trip in my
dinghy up through the locks into Lake
Union. I was accosted by two incredibly rude Harbour cops who hassled
me big time over no registration
numbers on my boat and the fact I was a foreigner didn't make any
difference to them in the slightest.
You can't go anywhere other that from your boat to shore by the shortest
possible route in an unregistered
dinghy. That was about 10 years ago and I haven't been back and have
no plans to ever go again.
That country is simply not worth the hassle between the border guards,
coasties and harbour police. If you
really want a treat.... go to San Diego and try anchoring. Harbour
Nazi's decend on you in droves.
Good luck going south but myself and many others won't ever go south
again. Hope this helps.
cheers John

Jimmy wrote:

Hi Folks,

Up here in Canada (at least in Ontario) boats powered under 10hp are
not required to be registered. This is the case with my 10 foot RIB
and 9.9 outboard motor, which I use as a tender when sailing my big
boat. No name on the dinghy, no registration numbers.

In a trip through the eastern USA to Florida, am I likely to encounter
problems with local police or coat guard because the dinghy is
unregistered, unlicensed, etc.?

Anyone experience problems with the local authorities?

Warning and tips appreciated.

Jimmy