Rick Morel

Default Dinghy registration

In the US, if your boat is USCG documented and the dinghy engine is 10
HP or less, you can put your documentation number plus "-1", ie
123456-1. You can only use the dinghy as a "tender", joy riding is
out. I did that for a couple years with no problems, even doing a bit
of joy riding. This in LA, MS, AL and FL. Last year I state registered
the dinghy becase I started throwing it in the pickup and exploring
some lakes and bayous.

Rick

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:04:55 -0700, "jps" wrote:

I bought a boat from a Canadian owner who used the same vessel ID on his
dink as was assigned to the mother ship. Don't know if it's kosher but
worked for him.

In a trip through the eastern USA to Florida, am I likely to encounter
problems with local police or coat guard because the dinghy is
unregistered, unlicensed, etc.?

Anyone experience problems with the local authorities?

Warning and tips appreciated.

Jimmy

S/V Final Step
http://www.morelr.com/coronado/