jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

Default Translation to English, please ........

"Dave Brown" wrote in message
news:P_CdnQDU9LlHxFzUnZ2dnUVZ_sninZ2d@wtccommunica tions.ca...
wrote:

The additive package is specified by the OEM, but that doesn't mean
it's any better that the oil company's own additive mixture.

Here's one example to at least show my position. BRP's TCW-3 contains the
additive "Carbon Guard" which is also available separately as a bottled
product through its dealers. It's a product I not only believe in, it's
what I use to clean my pistons when rebuilding. I have said lots on this
topic before and I'm afraid I just don't have the time to re-type it all
again - where is Dejanews when you need it? ;-)

In fact,
the motor OEM really doesn't have any reason to make their motor last
any longer than the warranty period... they make far more money on
motor sales than oil sales. The oil manufacturers, i.e Penzoil, *do*
rely on their reputation as an oil supplier. They *do* have a reason
to make good oil. It's their main business. Add another 2 cents of
good additives above the OEM package and they're good to go.

Yes and no. The oil companies RARELY get blamed for an oil failure, and
the truth is, there are few if any true oil quality related failures in
the short term in my business. Where I see the result is years of using
crappy oil that causes carbon build up and 'coking' which cause detonation
and piston failure. People NEVER blame the oil for that, it's always the
OEM that takes it in the pants at the watering hole.

The OEM don't really "require" anyone to do anything when making their
OEM oil, anyway. They go out for bid on a certain color oil bottle
with the logo placed just so, with, in your words, an additive package
that "costs an extra nickel", then they charge twice what the oil
company's TC-W3 goes for. All for the LOWEST BID oil to be used in a
motor that they hope wears out soon so you'll buy another.

I would have to agree to disagree then. I do honestly agree that the oil
is better, but concede the cost of the better product is out of proportion
to the price. I would still pay to get it. You have no idea of the
warranty issues we have with aftermarket parts/products and if people
think they're 'just as good' they should stop in and see the pile of crap
from China sitting on my office floor that the aftermarket guys are
fighting me on. I refuse to use it anymore.

Being a dealer and making your living selling marine equipment and
overpriced oil, would you be a bit biased in your recommendation?
Nah... :-)

I know that's tongue in cheek jab, but I really do get tired of having to
defend my position regarding bias. This NG is international in scope and
what I say in here doesn't make me a single penny (although there is
certainly a cost to productivity at my desk). I have spent most of my life
educating boaters about the correct choices to make, and in the end it
really and truly doesn't matter to me what choice they make once they have
full information. I'd like to think my contributions to this NG (when I
can filter through the crap) merit at least some indication of my
credibility, plus I have "Tech Tip" pages where again, I didn't make a
penny writing any of it, nor do I make anything every time someone reads
and benefits from it (they are the busiest pages on my site BTW).

I better get back to work now.... ;-)

--
Regards,
Dave Brown

And wait for it....... What's on side of the briggs and stratton oil bottle
from lowes.
That's right, ASHLESS.