Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default OT but very useful...

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:57:51 +0100, "Edgar"
wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 01:24:09 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

Am I correct in thinking that this works only with Windows? I ask as I
am using Linux and while I could go to the trouble of setting a
network your magic cable sounds easier.

Sorry, Bruce. One model is for Windows to Windows. The other model they
make if from Windows to Mac. No Linux support...as usual.

Ah well, I can console myself by repeating the Linux Mantra, "Linux is
better, Linux is better......"
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce, I was talking to an IT guy last night about Linux as we have Linux on
disc but have not yet loaded and experimented with it.
He told me there is a programme called 'wine' which allows Windows
programmes to run on Linux.
I have not fully checked it out yet but you can get the site by Googling
'wine'+Windows+Linux and check it out yourself.
Don't Google 'wine' on its own as you can guess what sort of stuff will come
up!

Yes, Wine is an "emulator" that effectively mimics the entire Windows
operating environment and allows *some* Windows to be run from Linux.
In fact I am running this copy of Forte Agent using Wine.

However, it is not a cure-all and every Windows application does not
work well using it. In addition it, being an emulator, takes
significant system resources and a native application would be
preferable. Linux, of course offers applications to network both Linux
and Windows so syncing various files can be done with little fuss. I
was just hoping to get by with no fuss :-)

By the way, most of the current "versions" of Linux can easily be
installed on the same disk as a Windows installation - assuming that
there is physical space and Ubuntu is probably the most friendly
version with 8.10 being (I believe) the latest version issued.

One caveat. Most of the current Linux distributions seem to pride
themselves on being "pure" open source applications and generally do
not do such things as play MP3 music, which is a proprietary encoding.
Of course it is possible to download and install additions to the
existing applications that will play MP3 files but the initial Linux
probably won't do it.