Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default Not so much a Luddite in my old age

On Mar 17, 4:03 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:03:16 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch

wrote:
None of this "My
bearing to that mark cannot exceed 280 or we are in danger from the
shoal" business, you just look at the plotter. I could get to like
that........maybe.
However, I wonder how much one gives up when he goes hi-tech. Do you
lose the sense of 'figuring it all out"?

On a power boat that is moving right along, the convenience, speed and
accuracy of a chart plotter is hard to beat. With the aid of a
laptop computer and inexpensive USB GPS you can get most of what you
need at a very low price. The charts are free to download these days
and there are several charting software packages available for free or
very little.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=USB+GPS&aq=f&oq=

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+navigation+charting+softwar...

Generally, it has been on the Tolman rather than the sailboat where a
chartplotter would have been most useful.