posted to rec.boats.building
Andrew Erickson Andrew Erickson is offline

Default Epoxy vs "Tightbond"

In article
,
Frogwatch wrote:

I am building a truck slide-in camper (Glen-L "Importer" design) and
am using epoxy for most things thickened with fibers and balloons.
However, in places where I think there will be less stress on the
camper inside, I am using the cheaper and easier to use "Tightbond"
waterproof glue with all joints screwed together. For example, I am
using the Tightbond on the cabinets. How does this compare to epoxy?

Both epoxy and tightbond (and any modern wood glue, for that matter) are
stronger than wood when properly applied and used. Some variants of
tightbond, at least, are not as waterproof/water resistant as epoxy, but
on the interior of a camper, that should not be a worry at all.

In short, you'll be fine. If I were building a camper of some sort, I
probably would have used plain wood glue for all the wood to wood
joints, as a camper is not likely to be submerged, nor expected to
remain fully intact if it is. Not that there's anything wrong with
epoxy for this application, of course. (If I were building a wooden
airplane, I would use epoxy; failures there are a wee bit more
catastrophic.)

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot