posted to rec.boats.building
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Bondo faring

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:39:46 +0000, EASI54
wrote:

I have a 1988 custom built aluminum hull sloop that I had sand blasted
below the water line to remove years of antifouling paint buildup, and
to start fresh with new and also see what condition the hull would be in
and if it would warrant any metal work. For the most part, faring
compound still remains and I can see the dings and dents that it has
received over time. I would like to use Bondo for the deep fills that
I probably won't be able to push out(1/4 inch alu thickness) and then
use a good epoxy faring compound for the top. Would this approach be
acceptable prior to finish coating or would there be a better way.

Bondo has a poor track record for long term adhesion in a marine
environment, better to use an epoxy based fairing compound for
everything.