posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in alaska Bruce in alaska is offline

Default WiFi recommendation

In article ,
wrote:

I currently have an old analog cell phone antenna at the top of my
mast on a trawler. Do not use the antenna any longer, and would like
to use the coax to mount a WiFi antenna to run to my onboard laptop.
My goal is better distances to AP. Anyone done something like this
successfully. My laptop has both PC Card slots and available USB 2.0
ports. I can find numerous claims on the internet, but would prefer to
find something that is a proven solution. Thanks

Pete

Well considering that the frequencies involved (800 Mhz = Cell, 2400 Mhz=
WiFi) the losses in that Coax will rise significantly if you try and
push WiFi up it. You would be MUCH better off to run Ethernet up the
Mast, and mount a WiFi Client Access Device, with a good Omni Directional
Antenna on a SHORT Piece of Good Coax, and run the whole mess off POE.
(Power over Ethernet) I do this to extend my Network for the Close
Neighbors. (close = 10 Sq Miles) Works very well for "Me"....

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply