Stephen Trapani Stephen Trapani is offline

Default Yeah, I know "plonk"

wrote:
Stephen Trapani wrote:
wrote:

One of the scariest, and most depressing things I've witnessed in
this country was not long after 9/11, while working to build a
facility to manufacture a new stockpile of smallpox vaccine for the
government, was a news program where 2 liberal and 2 conservative
national journalists were asked if it was OK to torture suspects *if*
it *might* save American lives. All 4 said the equivalent of "hell
yes!". I was sickened, saddened, and ashamed that we could, as a
nation, be such gutless wimps that any action against the *other*
(however defined) person is justifiable if there's even the slightest
chance that it *might* save our butts. Pitiful.

Yeah, who are we anyway?

We claim to be a nation of laws, and we claim the moral high ground on
these issues in our dealings with the rest of the world.

Then why don't we take reasonable measures to find out what we need to
find out to stop these mass murderers! The moral high ground includes
and excludes many things, but one thing it includes is putting the well
being of innocents ahead of the rights of mass murderers!

Our lives are pitiful and worth nothing!

Not even remotely implied by *any* argument presented here. Feel free
to associate yourself with that remark if you like.

yes!". I was sickened, saddened, and ashamed that we could, as a
nation, be such gutless wimps that any action against the *other*
(however defined) person is justifiable if there's even the slightest
chance that it *might* save our butts.

How dare we threaten, scare or hurt someone who is trying to hurt and
kill us?? We're not worth it!!!! We should protect murderous criminals
instead of trying to save our butts!!!

Murderous criminals who have not been even charged with a crime because
of lack of evidence? Face it Stephen, no matter how enamored or torture
you may be, it is illegal. Write your representatives and ask them to
introduce legislation legalizing torture because it's the only way to
keep you safe - see how successful you are.

I believe in the moral high ground of doing what is right over and above
any conflicting laws.

Stephen