[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 21:35:51 -0700, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:23:48 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

wrote in message
On 9 Mar 2009 13:57:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:27:23 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

While you may personally agree with this approach, it is
nevertheless antithetical to the US constitution.
Sigh...went right over your head too, eh.

Sigh...arguing against reality is a tough sell unless you're a preacher,
eh.
The careful reader would have noted that I haven't expressed any view as
whether waterboarding has produced useful information. I have simply
observed that trying to stick the generic label "torture" on the procedure
doesn't advance the ball toward resolving the fact question.

Unfortunately there seem to be few careful readers present. Else I
wouldn't
have to provide the Cliff Notes.
Waterboarding was prosecuted as torture and as a war crime by the
United States Government.

The "Guvmint" has already established that it's torture, Dave.
And, it's well-documented that it doesn't work.

I would disagree with you.

In one case I witnessed the individual who "confessed" admitting that
he was beaten until he confessed, in a second, an individual who
stated he witnessed the act said that it worked and several
descriptions I have read of WW II British agents in Occupied France
specifically state that the Germans gained sufficient information from
partisans that they were able to capture others in the group.

As well there are fairly well documented cases in Russia of people
who, for some reason, confessed to outlandish crimes and were
executed. Generally attributed to torture.

The stories of "brain washing" in Korea were not, I suspect, cut from
whole cloth.

In short the "it doesn't work" argument needs a lot of qualification
to be wholly correct.

Cheers,

These loony lefties can talk themselves into the wildest nonsense.
They're now saying that hurting or threatening to hurt people can't get
them to reveal what they know.

Or, what they don't know!

Besides, most accredited terrorists have gone through extensive
training regarding torture. Being tortured is considered a golden
opportunity to send the enemy in the wrong direction or into a trap.