Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default BRP Cuts Production, Workforce

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 12:07:27 -0600, "Canuck57"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 10:37:43 -0600, "Canuck57"
wrote:

Me, I am delaying my boat purchase indefinitely. Will
just rent them.

Power boats are hellaciouly expensive to rent whenever I've looked.
Still a good option if you boat infrequently.

--Vic

Not really, say I rent one for $200/day for 6 days. That is $1200. Since I
don't have to tow it, less wear and tear with less fuel consumption. But I
will for arguments sake forget these points.

I'd call 6 days infrequent. Renting is best.

Now for a bass boat and trailer new, budget is $20,000 USD, in Canada that
would be about $40,000 CAD (not a very competative market).

Apples and oranges. The $20,000 bass probably boat won't rent for
$200 a day.
Here's some rentals close to where I would go.
Looks like rental prices are down quite a bit from last I looked.
I assume boat prices are too, especially used.
http://www.thefishtalemarina.com/boat-rentals.html
http://holidazeboatrental.com/Rates.htm

If I put $40,000 into an investment yeilding 5%, 40% goes to taxes, that
leaves $1000. And say depreciation and maintenance is 10% of the total for
$4000, making $5000 per year.

Some things don't translate well to dollars and cents without thorough
exploration.
For instance, buying used, having the boat you want, availability,
length of ownership, etc.

Seems like owning is only viable if you are a resident on a waterway with
lots of time off. If you are 2-3 weeks renting is better.

Fair enough. Personally, taking it at the outside of 3 weeks rental =
21 days = a minimum of $4200 a year, I wouldn't see renting as very
attractive. But different strokes.

--Vic