otnmbrd

Default aid to navigation question

.. wrote:

snip

I don't disagree with anything you have said. I merely point out that
there are other considerations. Red buoys don't JUST mark channel
edges. They may also mark hazards to the entrances of major ports for
several miles and funnel the traffic toward the channel. My scenario
was to describe a situation where the recognition of only ONE red buoy
and maintaining a course East of same may not be enough to keep the
captain and vessel from harm.

This is fine, but I believe the original poster was talking about a
buoy, well offshore, nowhere near any harbor, not related to any harbor,
not near or about any channel, entrance or approach to a harbor .... by
itself, alone .... In this case, traveling in a Southerly direction on
the Atlantic Coastline, you will leave this buoy to stbd. If you see a
buoy like that... there aren't all that many .... you should immediately
check your chart to see where the hazard is. However, if you don't have
a chart .... leave the buoy to stbd and give it plenty of searoom. They
do exist out there, and the recognition of only ONE red buoy, becomes
important as to how you should expect to pass it.

otn