Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 19:37:47 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:44:07 -0800, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

Aragorn wrote:
It is a bit difficult to understand why they try to turf one guy out
of office for getting a blow job and don't even seem to notice when
another guy "legalizes" such things as torture and searches without a
warrant - things that you are preaching to the world are "human
rights".

All societies, including ours, consider it reasonable that some level of
criminal or enemy should lose many of their rights by virtue of
protecting society. When you find yourself defending the very lowest
scum of the earth, you should at least question the moral strength of
what you are arguing, shouldn't you?

I'm not defending anyone. I'm simply stating that people (perhaps men
mostly) find the rather violent reaction to one man doing something
that comes rather naturally and a different man doing something that
caused (and don't think it didn't) considerable loss of face for the
nation. How can a country that advocates justice and the rule of law
to foreign countries turn around and carryout the excesses that
happened?

It isn't that you tortured the people, it is that you preach justice
and rule of law to all the developing countries. Do as I say, not as I
do.

It's not hard to understand when you remember that the both of those
things,
the impeachment and the trashing of the constitution, were being done by
the
same party. As for no one noticing, the Republicans have built a huge
propaganda machine called conservative Talk Radio. It's running as
background noise 24 hours a day out there in the hinterlands filling the
pickup trucks, hardware stores, and autobody shops with a constant and
subliminal stream of lies and propaganda. You wouldn't recognize the
country if you came back. This poison, which is the only source of
"news"
that a huge proportion of the country (aka "The Republican Base), pays
any
attention to, is like the public loudspeakers in North Korea.

Yeah, finally (during the Clinton era), instead of overwhelming numbers
on the side of 'iberally biased media, the right got their little corner
of the media pie and are doing well at carrying an audience. They are
still in the minority though. It does seem that people tend to restrict
themselves exclusively to the biased news that they favor, like you say,
but you are totally wrong about conservative media being anyone's only
choice for news. Not even close. My lefty friends pretty much never
watch or listen to conservative media. Oh how they love MSNBC and Rachel
Maddow, who is really about as biased as it gets.

If people want to truly understand what is best, they need to understand
the best arguments on both sides.

This demographic was sufficient for decades to keep tipping a nearly
evenly
divided country to the right. When things got sufficiently trashed by
the
looting, two things happened. The comfortable and complacent on the
left
woke up and a significant proportion of the talk radio listeners
realized
they were being lied to.

I'm so glad Obama and the congress won. In fact, I voted for Obama. I
wanted all the kook lefties to see all the mistakes Obama was going to
make and all the "corruption" that would still exist. This stuff is
inherent in the system and had little to do with Bush. Did you see
yesterday where the Obama administration reached a deal with the Justice
department so the Bush AG firing scandal didn't go to trial? They didn't
want to take the chance that the executive branch would lose any power
that the Bush admin. had gained.

The kooky left has been jumping on Bush for stuff that has been going on
for 200 years. Now the chickens will come home to roost.

Stephen

I had an interesting conversation with a Vietnamese lawyer back during
the war days. I asked him who he voted for and he replied, "what is
the difference?" I asked what he meant and he said, "They are all
crooks, else why would they be in politics?" As years go by it seems
that he have have been correct.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I think that's a popular notion, but it's not really accurate. It's like
people claim that those Congress are lacking in ethics. The real issue is
that ethics are in shades of grey. It's not a black/white issue. Sure, there
are crooked politicians, just like there are crooked, unethical docs,
lawyers, priests, etc.

I was being cynical. But, I suspect that just as an engineer wants to
design the best bridge or the banker wants to make the most money that
a politician wants to be reelected most of all. Which can slant an
individual's point of view somewhat.

And I would guess that politicians are extremely sensitive to what the
'folks at home' think of what he is doing and from my experiences the
solid, middle of the road, people don't write letters, it is the
fringe people that are the frantic letter writers so I can see how
they can get wrong ideas.

And, of course any politician who isn't doing what I think is right
must be taking bribes form somebody to vote the way he does...... :-)