Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Yeah, I know "plonk"

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 05:50:03 -0500, "Aragorn"
wrote:

It is a bit difficult to understand why they try to turf one guy out
of office for getting a blow job and don't even seem to notice when
another guy "legalizes" such things as torture and searches without a
warrant - things that you are preaching to the world are "human
rights".

It's not hard to understand when you remember that the both of those things,
the impeachment and the trashing of the constitution, were being done by the
same party. As for no one noticing, the Republicans have built a huge
propaganda machine called conservative Talk Radio. It's running as
background noise 24 hours a day out there in the hinterlands filling the
pickup trucks, hardware stores, and autobody shops with a constant and
subliminal stream of lies and propaganda. You wouldn't recognize the
country if you came back. This poison, which is the only source of "news"
that a huge proportion of the country (aka "The Republican Base), pays any
attention to, is like the public loudspeakers in North Korea.

This demographic was sufficient for decades to keep tipping a nearly evenly
divided country to the right. When things got sufficiently trashed by the
looting, two things happened. The comfortable and complacent on the left
woke up and a significant proportion of the talk radio listeners realized
they were being lied to.

My problem is that I don't live in the U.S. and everything I see is
from the "news" - and the inverted commas are deliberate. We hear
nothing about the Republican's radio system, for instance.

At the moment Obama is the hero, according to the news here and the
Swiss bank accounts seem to be covered widely - 47,000 accounts out of
how many tax payers in the United States? Knowing no details myself it
looks like a great deal of effort for what may turn out to be little
return.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)