Stephen Yoder

Default Water collection

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:02:12 -0700, Skip Gundlach wrote
(in message . net):

"tbuck" wrote in message
I have been told that it is quite possible to catch all the water
required for two people when cruising the Caribbean and further south.
Has anyone devised a good system? Is the rain water filtered (bugs etc)
or stored directly to the main tank. I spoke to one cruiser who would
rinse the deck during a rain storm then had the deck drain piped to a
tank. I'm not sure if this water was used for drinking or washing etc.

I've not heard of scuppers being the feed source, though I imagine it ought
to work as well.

My friend has a Morris Yachts' Frances 26. The foredeck is recessed creating
a shallow (about 3" deep) "well deck" of sorts. At the aft port corner there
is a drain plumbed to a hose bibb below. If he wants to use rain water, he
lets the deck get flushed off first, then plugs up the scuppers with rags or
whatever then attaches a short garden hose to the hose bibb below and directs
the rainwater wherever he wants it: jugs, tanks, sink, wherever. Aboutthe
slickest set-up I've ever seen.