Steve

Default Muds treatment of careenage area

Back (40+) year ago, when you could get away with it, I would careen my 27ft
sail boat on the shore and scrap and paint the bottom. Actually this could
be refered to as being on the hard. If the tidal range wasn;t sufficient, I
would take a halyard to a near by piling and haul her over. Sometimes, if I
was lucky I might find a couple pillings to tie her to so I could do both
sides on one tide. Often the local cops would pull up to give me a bad time
but I would just give them a shrug, continue my work while I waited for the
tide to come in..

I was once on a old WWII destroyer that backed down into the mud in San
Diego Bay. The props were clear but the rudders were stuck in the mud.
While waiting for tugs to assist, they called "all hands on deck" and we all
went to one side of the ship to create a list. The some one on the bridge,
watching the clinometer, ordered "all hands sally ship" (not sure of the
spelling of sally) and we all move to the opposite side of the ship. Again
the officer on the bridge watched the clinometer and again gave the order to
"sally ship". After about four of these exercises, the ship was rocking
enough for the rudder break loose from the mud bank.

I figure we had about 100 sailors X 150 lbs = 15,000 lb moving back and
forth at the precise time on a 2100 ton ship. I know there are more factors
involved but what-ever, it worked.

That was the first and last time I ever heard that term and I'm curious if I
have it correct.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve