Giles

Default Vancouver 25

"JSB" wrote in message ink.net...
I'm considering purchasing a Vancouver 25 but can't locate any information
on this boat. I'm curious about strenghts/weaknesses of this boat. Thanks.

I have a Vancouver 25, and there is some information on my web site at
http://www.angelfire.com/art/2by4/Boats/index.html (look for Dolphin
in the side menus).

I agree completely with Russell and Anne's opinions, except that the
V25 really is 25ft on deck. The bowsprit and rudder take the LOA to
just over 29ft. There is a Vancouver 27 (still being built in England
as the Vancouver 28) but that is a rather different boat. The V25 has
a rounded stern.

If I were looking for problems, they might include:

- The sliding toilet. It's either a stroke of genius or a PITA. Yes,
it frees up space, but it's a nuisance to slide, and we all love to
have long loops of hose containing raw sewage.

- Rot. This is a _very_ hand built (in Taiwan) boat with a lot of
wood. The large cabin deadlights fitted to Dolphin leaked until I
replaced them with bronze ports and there are several places that I
need to repair rot.

- Leaking cockpit sole. It's wonderful to be able to get at stuff
around the engine, but the removable cockpit sole is impossible to
seal, and I had to replace the engine beds this spring because the
water leakage had helped them corrode.

- Through-hulls. There are too many! 2 cockpit drains, 2 deck drains,
cooling water inlet, 2 sink drains, one seawater inlet for the galley
pump, depth sounder and bilge pump outlet (some of them not even
originally fitted with seacocks!).

- General weirdness. Mine (hull number 2) didn't have a primary fuel
filter. The prop is way too big. There isn't a right-angle in the
boat, the galley footpump is impossible to get at without tearing out
the galley

Don't misunderstand me... I really like the V25, but it's quirky!
Overall I'm very happy with Dolphin. There are very few boats I like
more, and they're all significantly more expensive.

Giles