Barry Brazier

Default Radio Fax Weather Sources for South Pacific

For a long voyage like Use to Australia.
The number of charts needed is enormous. and if originals are purchased the
total cost is in the $1000s.
I used Bellingham reproductions supplied in portfolios for each area. and
had no trouble.
see Bellingham at http://www.tidesend.com/index.htm

Barry
"Jim Woodward" wrote in message
om...
I should add a standard comment -- that you look at charts other than
NOAA/NIMA and BA. Most seafaring countries have charting agencies --
the major ones chart the whole world, the minor ones only their own
waters.

In particular here, the SHOM (French) charts of French Polynesia are
much more recent and offer much more comprehensive coverage than
either NIMA or BA. AFAIK the only USA stocking agent is Captains
Nautical, in Seattle
http://www.captainsnautical.com/

You will also want to look at Fiji and New Zealand charts.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message

04.17...
This winter I'll be headed through the Canal and off to French Polynesia
and then to New Zealand for hurricane season. I'm not sure what sources
I'll have for radio weather faxes. Who transmits what and on what
frequencies/times/etc? Are their web sites that I can preview what I

can
see what they're transmitting?

Thanks, Geoff