Default Radio Fax Weather Sources for South Pacific

I should add a standard comment -- that you look at charts other than
NOAA/NIMA and BA. Most seafaring countries have charting agencies --
the major ones chart the whole world, the minor ones only their own
waters.

Good comment! FWIW, I think you'll want French charts for FP and New
Caledonia, New Zealand charts for NZ and Tonga (also "Western" Samoa
and the Cooks). You'll need to mix Fijian and BA charts for Fiji.
Most NOAA/NIMA/DMA charts may be copied legally and copies are okay,
but outside of the American territories are often very, very out of
date. For places like Vanuatu and the Solomons that's no big deal as
there aren't any nav aids or any better charts available, for FP and
even Tonga and Fiji the US charts do not show the current nav aids.
Also, get the sailing instructions (US pubs 120, 125 & 127 I think,
but look it up). They too are out of date, but a lot of the cruising
guides are based on them anyway and they are full of great
information. Most of the charts you will be using are not corrected
(and may not be correctable) to wgs84. Avoid gps assisted groundings
by using good light and eyeball piloting! Any good chart agent will
be able to get any of these charts for you (I use Pacific Map Center
in Honolulu). BA charts are the same price the world around
(expensive!), NZ and Fijian charts are about $16 us bucks depending on
exchange rates in NZ or Fiji (more here). It is generally hard to get
charts in the islands, so buy them before you make landfall. US
planning charts are a bargin. Pilot charts are of pretty limited use
in this age of weather fax and e-mail. For parts of Tonga and FP the
Moorings charter company prints very good cruising guides and charts.

Cheers,

-- Tom.