Two meter troll Two meter troll is offline

Default sailing junk

On Feb 27, 5:58*pm, Bob wrote:
On Feb 25, 2:50*am, Two meter troll wrote:

Ive got the wood milling for a sampan that i scaled up to thirty feet.
going to build it as a study for a *50'X16' or so foot junk.

How about a:
Texas Gulf Scow Scooner
Casco Bay Scow Scooner
San Fransisco has a great scow..... ALMA

Ya cant get more utilitarian, easier and faster to build, and cheep to
maintain (depending on materials) in any material. Hell, 2x6 lam beams
and that 4'x8'x7/8" tung and grove sub floor stuff. Dam stout with
epoxy glass cover. Think work boats..... they used availible materials
and galvanized fittings cause, "hell its just a work boat."

Personnaly Id go with a 60' scow scooner with twin lee boards. maybe
in aluminum or lam beams and plywood expoxy
Christ, you could haul Oregon xmas trees and cord fire wood south for
the CA market. Park it on the mud somplace up the sacramento maybe
Brentwood? Drink beer and let the californians give you fists of
money.

Fast, stout, beautiful scows.... ummmm my dream boat!

bob

thats pretty much what a junk is. with a bit of a full keel to keep
her pointed in one direction.
fuel is getting costly and i am not one to just sail around so figure
i can build a good stout work boat that has some relitivly good cargo
space and make a touch of cash. I have never figured out how folks
just use a boat for dinking around. I have worked the sea to long to
find just sailing all that much fun. I picked a junk because it will
sit the mud as well as a scow but still have a bit of performance. I
researched for ten years before i settled on a type of boat for this
build. the toss up was between a scow and a junk, till just a year
ago. I decided on a boat that had a little shape to it and would ease
the sea rather than pound it. what i dont like about the scows is the
way they move in heavy weather. the corner to corner slamming is
uncomfortable after a while.
50 ft puts the boat into $300 a month at the dock and i didnt want to
go much higher than that for a slip.