Two meter troll Two meter troll is offline

Default sailing junk

Geeee the USCG guys I know look for junks coming back from backwoods
Alaska loaded down with pot, it's worth more than any boat load of
crab. And IIRC one of the biggest pot ports is in Canada on that side
just north or the border.

But if you are not doing anything illegal then its not going to be a
problem.

Heh like a person would use a big boat to move pot across that border.
its a short Zode ride across the sound.
best done at night several boats with no moon and a good muffler.
sides i live in oregon why the heck would i import pot?

very true. however i have the wood here and the milling operations. if
i was to get a boat built in china the only way to pay for the whole
bang would be to fill the hull with those exotic woods and sail her
home then finish the accommodation's.

All the old growth wood is long gone, Im talking 24" X 42" solid
mahogany keels.
Beware of importing "exotic woods" very tricky and you can loose your
cargo real easy to restrictions and bans.

thats pretty much the size of it.

an aside is that i like myrtlewood fir and port orford cedar. its
here its handy and its cheap. well, within reason.

Hey as long as it dont rot and holds up well in sal****er it should
work.

just cause its not used in the east to build boats dont mean it aint
good. folks built ships out of myrtle wood Doug fir is a moderate rot
resistance and PO cedar will last practically forever. it would scale
at mahogany, white oak and well PO cedar. like i said i have the
access to the materials right here and can get custom cut OG if i want
a solid keel 50 feet long i can get one. but frankly why? i am not so
much of a traditionalist as to eschew the use of epoxy and a laminated
keel is far better than a solid chunk of wood, i can build it to have
all the curve and counter stress i need with out having to deal with
grain runout, checking, rot pockets, termites, etc. and if i wish i
can bury a few hundred pounds of lead in it.

I might build traditional but i also realize that there are places
where the tradition is to use the best passable solution.
like covering the hull in epoxy and cloth. if i have a choice of
protecting the materials the hull is composed of then i will do that.
small price to pay for the lifetime of a boat.

its not to bad, winter can get a little bleak (I wintered over a
couple of times in the high arctic), summer on the other hand is
marvelous. i miss the tundra flowering in spring. get this boat done
and we can skip the seasons we don't want to deal with

Yeah that tundra in spring sounds nice, it's just that other 90% of
the year thats the problem.

I like the summer as long as i am at sea during it. the folks on land
have the problems with bugs. and southeast in winter
is very much like oregon with a touch more snow. so i would say about
half the year is not good.