Gould 0738

Default New (to the West Coast) boat line

Some very nice people in Seattle are introducing a boat at next week's Lake
Union show. I was invited aboard today, and it seems well turned out and
conceived. These folks are becoming well known for importing brokerage yachts
from Hong Kong, Australia, etc.....(and if you don't mind a long distance
purchase and the freight expense, there seem to be a few eye-poppin' deals
available).

The Bruckmann Blue Star 36.6 Express Cruiser is the first Blue Star boat ever
delivered to the Pacific Coast. 26 of the smaller 29.9's and 6 of the 36.6 have
been delivered on the east coast since the trademark was estabished, just under
18 months ago.

Unlike the E Coast boats, the boats sold out west will all have a bulkhead
between the helm and the cockpit. Lines are similar to the lobster boat or
"picnic boat" genre, with a higher than expected cabin top above the bridge
deck. There is no "day boat" claustrophobia, as there are large windows and
generous headroom.

LOA is 36'6", beam is 13'2", displacement is 18,000 pounds. With twin 370HP
Yanmar turbo diesels, the boat is supposed to be capable of 35 knots. I'll be
doing an actual test on the boat in October.

The Bruckmann family name is closely associated with high quality yacht
construction. CEO Mark Bruckmann's father founded C&C sailboats.
At just over 400 "boat bucks", the Bruckmann Blue Star isn't a bargain-basement
special, but the quick, cursory exam I gave the boat today suggests that there
is
indeed some serious integrity and content to help justify the price.

With the higher cabin top, aft bridgedeck bulkhead, and light open interior
compartments the Bruckmann is different from stereotypical vessels of generally
similar style. It will be ineresting to see how the public reacts to this boat
at next week's show, but I suspect they may have a winner.

There's probably a photo at www.IMMservice.com