Joe Joe is offline

Default sailing junk

On Feb 25, 3:46*pm, Two meter troll wrote:
*Are you going to be hauling cargo for hire? Or just trading stuff on
the sly?

probably a bit of both if on the sly you mean taking cargo up to
remote places in the arctic for friends that dont have boats to carry
bulk goods from the lower 48. ive done that for years.

*Thats perfectly legal. Alaska is America. Good plan

Have you ever taken a cargo boat with stuff in i'ts hold into another
country?

yep its not to bad as long as you go point to point. stopping in the
little ports coast hopping is a good way to go broke. Every inspector
expects a bit of ba-keesh.

Indeed, stopping anywhere you can expect to toss some lan-yap

however Coffee is also a drug smugglers cargo.

I have not heard that. Can you poimt to an example of that? True C.A.
is full of drug dealers, and thats the closest source of beans, but
ive never heard of that. Someone trying to smuggle an ounce on the
boat in a coffee can maybe

Maybe but if i know it as a rumor im pretty sure the CG and other
inspectors will also. IMO the prevention of suspicion is better than
the attention of suspicion.
i will be getting the eye at any rate; from the various Homeland
security folks in the US better to be as safe as i can.

Geeee the USCG guys I know look for junks coming back from backwoods
Alaska loaded down with pot, it's worth more than any boat load of
crab. And IIRC one of the biggest pot ports is in Canada on that side
just north or the border.

But if you are not doing anything illegal then its not going to be a
problem.

Well if you stay in the US and haul for friends you should not have
any problems what so ever.

oh i plan on getting around a bit more than that. however running
cargo out side the US has its attendant difficulties and i will
evaluate those as needed. the various bonding is an issue that is easy
for a big company and not so for a small guy.

*wood Doug fir, myrtle wood and PO cedar specifically

Ok traditional junk-50 ft= 25 acres of lumber..But the value of the
junks in china is the old growth mahogany and teak.

very true. however i have the wood here and the milling operations. if
i was to get a boat built in china the only way to pay for the whole
bang would be to fill the hull with those exotic woods and sail her
home then finish the accommodation's.

All the old growth wood is long gone, Im talking 24" X 42" solid
mahogany keels.
Beware of importing "exotic woods" very tricky and you can loose your
cargo real easy to restrictions and bans.

an aside is that i like myrtlewood *fir and port orford cedar. its
here its handy and its cheap. *well, within reason.

Hey as long as it dont rot and holds up well in sal****er it should
work.

King crabbing, salmon trolling, Cargo, tendering and oil exploration
OBC and streamer.

buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

its not to bad, winter can get a little bleak (I wintered over a
couple of times in the high arctic), summer on the other hand is
marvelous. *i miss the tundra flowering in spring. get this boat done
and we can skip the seasons we don't want to deal with- Hide quoted text -

Yeah that tundra in spring sounds nice, it's just that other 90% of
the year thats the problem.

Joe