Two meter troll Two meter troll is offline

Default sailing junk

On Feb 25, 11:57 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:53:20 -0800 (PST), Two meter troll

wrote:

Good questions but the answers depend -

Is the boat going to be sailed at sea in potentially rough conditions?

oh yes i figure the coast of Alaska, out in the chain as far as attu
the remote islands in the arctic, the south pacific, down the west
coast of south America, the African continent, selected parts of Asia,
and the a few trips to the med.

If so, how many days of sea stores? Fuel and water requirements?

I am figuring 60 days of water (about 700 gal with a reserve, i have
not decided yet weather to cut this down due to water maker ) and
stores the longest transit would be the coconut milk run of almost
3000 miles.
fuel for 100 hours at working loads so call it 200 gal (hydro for
cargo gear, generator (augmented with solar and wind), water maker
and cook stove)

Are we talking about a 50 footer with full keel?

yes

What about the center hold - fish, dry cargo ?

both. depending on need.

Walk through or not?
not walk through.

How many crew?

max crew of four adults, mostly will run with two crew I expect kids
will be involved in here someplace.

Deck layout - pilot house, center cockpit, aft cockpit?

aft Pilot house slaved aux station forward of house at deck level,
center water tight hold, small coffin forepeak.

Alright, I can visualize that. You're going to want a small head
forward if there are going to be people bunked up there, and there is
no walk-thru aft. It doesn't need a shower unless you want one for
backup, or you anticipate 4 people on board most of the time. I'd
put the head on one side just forward of the bulkhead and match it
with a hanging locker on the other side. You'll also need someplace
for wet foul weather gear, perhaps behind the stairs. Personal gear
can go on shelves over the bunks which also act as hull stiffeners,
there should also be room for storage drawers under the bunks. The
bunks will need lee cloths or bunk boards of course. That pretty
much takes care of the forepeak.

Aft, you have to decide how much you want in the pilot house. At a
minimum you need a flat surface for charting and a hanging space for
wet foulies.

I was thinking a wheel house station off to one side. with the salon
taking up the rest of this level. ive never had a bridge that was ever
empty of folks wanting to hang out. communications (VHS,single side
band), radar, meters, wheel and nav station (Charts, plotter, and
compass/gps). the deck level aux station would be bare bones since it
will be used to do fine work or to have a helm close at hand while
working on deck.

A bunk is also nice, and if you go bigger you could
have a small dinette and galley. Either way, the galley sink should
be close to the centerline, especially if below.

below decks would be galley, head, state room/s center lining the
galley and head is a great idea.

Aft and down below, you've got to carve up the space for safety
reasons. You do not want the possibility of being wave tossed all the
way across a 15 ft beam.

I hadn't thought of this.

You'll also need to figure out what kind of
sleeping arrangements you want. What works well in port does not work
well underway so you may need some small sea bunks tucked away that
can double as shelves when not used for sleeping. A dining table that
folds up against a bulkhead makes good use of space. Make sure you
install lots of hand holds, especially in the more open spaces and
near the stairs.

this is going to be the tricky part due to my height; what is a good
hand hold for me is not a good hand hold for shorter folks.

I would save the very aft end of the boat as a storage lazarette for
bulky or heavy items - motor oil drums, dock gear, spare anchors,
chain, etc. The aft head needs a shower of course, and for the female
crew, decent lighting and mirrors.

ya the aft head is going to have to be bigger than i thought. the
lazerette is a good idea i was thinking of a walk way around the
house at deck level to allow for easy tying up. the fold up bunks
would be good for a number of kids. coffin lockers in all the fixed
bunks, I havent decided to put a third mast on the boat but at any
rate i might put in a flying bridge just to enjoy the weather

on all the works boats we just lash the drums to the rail on deck. i
am trying to keep most of the main deck space free so it is easy to
get around. Basically to my eye a junk is just a sailing version of
the power scows we use for king crabbing. a bit more shape and much
finer lines perhaps but all in all much the same layout.

a sister ship to one of the boats i was on. http://flickr.com/photos/sacasea/2943249496/