[email protected] lightingrecruiter@gmail.com is offline

Default Speaking of emergency steering

On Feb 23, 3:32*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

Cecil,greg,wilbur, neal, ect..ect..

I've had a dozen or so failures I can recall.
First in diego garcia on this boat before it was converted:
http://www.ship564.org/boats.html

Hey, it's the "Skipper's" boat from Gilligan's island!

They ID the boat due to a repair made after loosing steering and
hitting a cement anchor bouy. No one was hurt. Cable broke

Duh! How come you so-called professionals don't do a visual inspection of
systems from time to time. Sounds like you just accept the fact that things
will fail from time to time and never even bother looking for wear and tear.
Cables just don't break all of a sudden. They usually show signs of wear
like fraying, splitting, etc.

We did maintance and inspections all the time. Navy even had PMS
systems for the utility boats.

One on a tug pushing 250 thousand gallons of diesel in a fuel flat.
Was in a meeting situation in the ICW. Luckly it was caused by blowing
a stb hydro hose, and the barge rammed the mud bank, had it been the
port side it would have put the barge if front of a loaded gravel
barge. We were in a 1 whistle agreement passing when it blew. Fixed
that by replacing the hose.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Where's the visual
inspection and/or timely replacement schedule? Ignored because of ignorance
and stupidity? Thought so.

Crew & Supply boats....a dozen times, Pumps mostly, clogged
filters..nothing serious, most boats had redundant units.

Duh! And again, Duh! Filters are supposed to be changed out on a schedule
prior to them clogging.

And RedCloud. It had a worm gear unit like this :
http://www.2carpros.com/how_does_it_...g_gear_box.jpg
Just much more beefy. On the output shaft was a fulcrum to a fulcrum
on the rudder shaft top. The tie rod between them was 1" steel rod and
failed were the fulcrum attached to the rod on the output shaft of the
worm gear. Without stops the rod after sheering went through the
hull.

Duh! Again a visual inspection probably would have revealed a cracked weld
prior to catastrophic failure.

You would think. Infact I did so many visual inspection of the
steering gear before it failed it ****ed off a crew member tying to
sleep in the aft cabin. The steering did not feel right

Where were your eyes? Tie rods have tie rod
ends, right?

Not this one. The rod had a bolt thru it into the fulcrum end. The
bolt hole was drilled through the rod then scabbed over top and bottom
not allowing for inspection of the weakening rod where the hole was
drilled

These should be inspected regularly for wear and tear and
lubrication, right? *A one-inch diameter hole or even several one inch
diameter holes certainly could have had rags stuffed into them to stem the
ingress of water to such an extent that bilge pumps should have been able to
handle the chore.

Except it was next to a T bar stringer, dis-alowing the use of bungs.
I slowed it a bit with my bros silk shirts.

That steel rod could have been removed at the tie rod ends, welded and
re-fitted had the boat a welder which it should have had.

Could have used the emergency tiller bar too that fit in the rudder
post.

It's just dumb to
sail a large steel boat without some sort of welder. Duh.

Joe, I still think you need an attitude adjustment. You seem clueless when
it comes to preventative maintenance and system inspection and repair. Is
this the way so-called professionals operate? A feeling that "**** happens"
with no methods in place to keep **** from happening or at least slowing it
down?

I guess I could be called an expert now, I paid the tuition cost.

If I were your professor I would make you take the classes again. It's
obvious you haven't learned preventive maintenance and having a plan if and
when a failure of some sort occurs in spite of preventive maintenance.

Preventve maintaince works 99% of the time. Im talking about the other
1%

Let me explain so that you might understand. Lets take your rusty toy
ota.

If yo drive it a half million miles no matter how well you maintain
it, and inspect it,parts will fail.
Even new parts can fail. Sometimes when a filter cloggs it might clog
again sooner than any planned maintance.

If you actually move a boat, not just pretending you would understand
this.

As the old saying goes, Neal boat is safe & never breaks in Harbor,
but thats not what boats were buildt for...or something like that.

How about you? Have many times have you lost steering, bent props, had
fires, had injured crew, rescued anyone, been in a wreck, made a penny
as a Captain? (imaginary times and fairy tales not included)

I've sailed thousands of miles offshore, *nearshore, and inland. The worst
failure I've ever had was a broken-in-two boom. Other than magnafluxing the
boom from time to time I don't see any preventative maintenance that would
have eliminated that breakage. Repaired the boom myself and it remains
stronger than new to this very day.

Never had an injured crew. (I don't ship weakling, inexperienced amateurs or
females!)

You do not ship anything, it clearly shows in your in-experience.

Never bent a prop. Real sailboats have little need of props anyway.

Never lost steering. Have reliable, balanced spade rudder that will turn 360
degrees with reliable cast aluminum tiller.

Well thats good Wilbur. If you only have commanded one simple little
day sailor the chances of having any problems is reduced by many
folds. Limited exposure leads to limited risks. It is crystal clear
you are the master at limiting you maritine exposure.

Had a couple of little galley fires easily extinguished, and one brandy fire
in the bilge after a bottle burst when the boat was struck by lightning.

Galley fires? WTF you a drunk cook or something?
I;m talking about real fires, like fuel spraying on a hot turbo,
clutches burning, breaker box ect... Not some sissyfied suzy
homemakers fires.

Never needed rescue. Never shall because I'll drown like a man before
suffering such an indignity. This attitude will go a long ways towards
keeping me from ever needing rescue.

Well your attitude seems to have kept you moored silly for the last 15
plus years. Keep it up and you will safe.

Never had a wreck. I know and follow the rules of the road.

Made money as a captain but as a side-job and part time and on my terms.
So-called professional captains around here who work the headboats, dive
boats etc. make 100 dollars a day with NO benefits. Only an idiot works for
peanuts like that.

Only an idiot would be happy with a 25 gt masters that would restrict
you to such a limited choice of vessels to command.

Wilbur Hubbard

Joe