posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default How sailing failure is defined.

wrote in message
"KLC Lewis" wrote:
My pretty-much ideal sailing grounds would be the Great Lakes in the
summer.

Why?

True, fresh water is nice. But there's a lot of great places to sail
on both coasts... without biting flies, rocks, ore boats, submerged
fish traps, lampreys, etc etc.

Oh, I know about sailing salt water and have nothing at all against it. I
learned to sail in Charleston, SC, sailed in the Med, and bought our first
boat in Long Beach where we lived-aboard and sailed for years. I miss the
Pacific rollers, and the usually-nice weather. But Green Bay in the summer
is just...nice. Everything is a daysail away, or less. For what I'm doing
now it fits nicely. If I want to make longer passages, the rest of the Great
Lakes are conveniently connected to my bay.

Unfortunately, the water does get too hard for sailing for way too long
each
year, and by December I'm thinking of moving south. But then I remember
things like "Palmetto Bugs" and other giant cockroachy critters. Wouldn't
mind moving back to southern California if it wasn't so bleeding insane
out
there.

No wind in southern Cali. Might as wellkeep heading south, you're
gonna have to learn Spanish anywhere south of Portland.

Ya, SoCal is known for its "light and variable" conditions, but that didn't
stop me from sailing. Fact is the wind blows enough year-round that you can
almost always sail if you want to, as long as you're not in a hurry. That's
why God invented "light air" sails. If I was in a hurry, I'd have a
powerboat.

I can't wait until global warming allows me to keep my boat sailing on
Green
Bay and Lake Michigan year-round.

Freezing temps here in NC tonight... although we're due, it's been
sunny and warm (hi temps ~ 70F) most of the week. In fact it's been
GREAT sailing weather.... maybe a little windy

Fresh Breezes- Doug King