Rosalie B.

Default First time in the Keys

x-no-archive:yes "Leanne" wrote:

I've seen boats launched and hauled in Marathon at Marathon marina.
That's where the CG had one of their little boats hauled. I don't
know if they have car parking or if it is the best in price though.

A picture of the lift is at
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/2e650/#TL

I was thinking about the marina where US 1 crosses the waterway just before Key
Largo. I wonder if they might have the facilities they were looking for. I have
not been that way by boat, but have driven the Keys in the RV several times
visiting friends in Marathon and then going to Key West.

I haven't been to the Keys by car in a LONG time. And we can't (or
don't) go down the ICW side because it is a bit shallow for us. I
know it is possible with a 5 foot draft because I know friends have
done it. But we'd rather not.

Rosalie, I was reading about your trip south in 2000. I used to do some work at
the Dataw Marina a few years ago. If you look at various maps going back over a
hundred years, it is spelled about four different ways. My home marina is Port

Yes I know - but I have to use the spelling in the VT database to put
the trip report in.

Royal Landing right at the fixed bridge south of downtown Beaufort. We usually

I know where you mean.

get an early start and make it to the Herb river is our first stop and the Wahoo
the next.

We only did the Dataw, Hilton Head, Herb River, Kilkenny Creek, Little
St. Simon island, Jekyll trip once that way, and we've never done it
that way again. We did it that time because of the broken throttle
cable. So we've only been to Dataw once.

Now we usually stage the trip across Charleston Harbor from Isle of
Palms stopping at Ross Marine and then going south via Beaufort
Downtown Marina, Palmer Johnson in Thunderbolt, anchor in the Wahoo
RIver and then Jekyll. We go north in reverse.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html