Ryk

Default Main halyard winch, 1sp. or 2sp?

On 15 Sep 2003 23:58:55 GMT, in message

ospam (Ilv2sl) wrote:

My question should have been, Has anyone with a 1sp. main halyard winch, found
they would like to have a 2sp winch. Just refering to mailsail luff tensioning,
not hoisting aloft, etc.
I have both a Barient 16 ss 1sp. winch, and a Lewmar 16 chrome 2sp, and have to
decide which one to install, and which to sell. The Barient is in excellent
condition, and the Lwemar is new.
So, do any of you 1sp. users feel a 2 sp. would be the way to go?

I have a 35 footer with E=39.25' for the hoist of the main. I find a
single speed direct drive winch quite adequate to the task with an
advantage of about 10:1. Then again, I also find it quite adequate for
hoisting my 180 pound son to the masthead.

If both your winches have the same ultimate advantage (16:1?) then
there's probably no bonus to having the faster speed on the two speed
winch unless you are grinding your sail up the mast rather than hand
hoisting it nearly to the top.

Ryk

--
Unfortunately this address has been overrun by SPAM.
If you want to be sure I see email from you, then