Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default rigging wire

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:50:35 -0600, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

Two meter troll wrote:
It makes a fine rode.
jiminy what do folks think work boats carry? we don't have ss anchors
or rodes. the cost is prohibitive and the life span is not as good. SS
does not like to work. the only advantage SS has over good galv is
that it is not supposed to rust Ever (if you get the wrong formulation
it sure will). that still does not off set the cost difference.

A useful little test for the stainless believers goes like this.

Buy a bright shiny stainless bowl - like a surgical bowl or whatever.

Put a cup of salt water in it, and leave it outside.
Make sure it doesn't dry up. Check how long it takes to get a
pinhole in the bowl. Try again with tap water - you should get the
same result.....

In that case, oxygen in the air can get at it to maintain the thin
layer of chromium oxide that protects it in the manner aluminum oxide
protecs aluminum. In the presence of salt and absence of oxygen, the
chloride attacks it. It can also rust. I had a stainless bowl develop
a pinhole in ordinary kitchen use. In the case of the so called
stainless hose clamps, check them with a magnet at the store. The
*******s often use plain carbon steel for the worm.

Casady