posted to rec.boats.building
Matt Colie Matt Colie is offline

Default Dock building

Dan Listermann wrote:
"Two meter troll" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 10:54 am, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
I want to build two docks, one permanent and a floating one. The floating
one will be supported by 15 gallon plastic drums. I can get 55 gallon, but
for a 4 x 8 dock, I worry about center of gravity issues.

The permanent one will be built of 55 gallon drums filled with dirt. Any
issues to look out for?

and again build it so the barrels can fall out when they get full of
water or your dock will sink lower and lower.
those plastic barrels will eventually fill all you need them to do is
push up so it costs you nothing to make the darn thing safer

Can you expand on this? I am not sure that I follow you here.

Dan,
With three waterfront houses in the family, we have assembled more than
a few docks.
Is this tidal water ?
Does it freeze ?
Is it open water ?
Is there some kind of boat wake control ?

When I have some answers, I will write about building floating docks and
some very specific things to not do...

Matt