Two meter troll Two meter troll is offline

Default rigging wire

On Feb 12, 4:57 pm, Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:26:54 -0800 (PST), Two meter troll

wrote:

Your neighbor's roof wasn't immersed in salt water very often either.
I doubt very much if galvanized wire will make a satisfactory anchor
rode as I can't see how you can wash all the salt out of the stands
so it will be rusting quietly away while on the drum.

Casady

Cheers,

It makes a fine rode.
jiminy what do folks think work boats carry? we dont have ss anchor's
or rodes. the cost is prohibitive and the life span is not as good. SS
does not like to work. the only advantage SS has over good galv is
that it is not supposed to rust Ever (if you get the wrong formulation
it sure will). that still does not off set the cost diffrance.

SS is mostly Cash flash there are other things that work as well or
better and are cheaper to boot.

I must say that I have never seen a work boat with a cable anchor rode
so I can't comment other then the "well, it seems likely" argument
that is so frequently totally incorrect. I have seen mooring lines,
normally used on larger ships, that are galvanized but aren't intended
to be dunked in the ocean on a daily basis.

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce how many would you like to see? not being a smart ass but i do
realize that some proof is in the pudding. I have not ever seen a
working vessel below 300 ton that did not have cable backed chain. I
have no idea of how they do it in the east but here you got cable on
the drum with maybe 5 shots of chain. what someone said about depth
here is almost correct. not quite so deep but still much deeper that
above the chain not as deep as south east alaska. I think the
diffrence most times is that when we drop the hook in the open bays
its because its blowing so we put out lots of scope.
dunno most of my experiance is from working boats. they are not fast
enough to make port from the tuna grounds before the bar closes.