DSK

Default aid to navigation question

Richard Malcolm wrote:

...My quick question is something like this: if I am crusing about 5-15
miles off shore and see a red bouy, even before I look at the chart,
what should I be thinking?

That there's something wrong with your DR from your last position

A red marker is not going to be 5 miles out unless you're approaching a
really major port.

Which side do I want to pass it on?

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell 'instantly.' Is it a sea channel
bouy? A cardinal mark on a rock or wreck? A weather data bouy?

*If* it is a sea channel marker, at 5 miles out you should be able to pass
it on either side unless your boat draws a LOT or there is some special
circumstance, like the underwater sea wall at Tybee Roads.... the only
thing I can say is, there is no way to tell without reference to your
chart.

Is
there a slogan like the "right on red when returning" that I should be
thinking?

Yes, and as otnmbrd said, "returning" not only means going from sea
towards a harbor, but also counts as going counter-clockwise around the
continent, if you're on the eastern coast of the US.

thanks for your time.
just so you know, I would check the chart first, before I proceeded.

Smart move. Me too!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King