RichH

Default New style (spin on) Raycor (diesel) fuel filters

Get the type (filter head casting) with the integral hand operated
priming pump (plunger); or, see below.

How do the new units work? I'm imagining a procedure similar to an oil
filter replacement, except that after I remove the old, I have to fill the new
one with fuel.

Install a 12v fuel pump between the tank and the first filter. Energize
the pump with a switch.
When installing new filters, etc. turn on the pump and then sequentially
bleed all the filters, lift pump, final filter. Also serves as a
'back-up' lift pump. When not energized the integral valves in the pump
will allow the fuel delivery system to operate just as before.

Actually lift pumps on engines shouldn't be located where they are, they
should be at the tank. Then you have a positive pressure system that
cant suck air from leaky joints, etc. Additionally a positive pressure
system will vastly increase the service life of the filters!