Two meter troll Two meter troll is offline

Default rigging wire

On Feb 10, 4:39 pm, Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:03:10 -0800 (PST), Two meter troll

wrote:
On Feb 10, 7:53 am, Bruce wrote:
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 22:45:55 -0800 (PST), Two meter troll

wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:35 pm, Bruce wrote:
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:46:11 GMT, (Richard

Casady) wrote:
How come stainless cable is more than six times as costly as
galvanized, yet nobody uses the galvanized. Stainless the same size
has about 80% of the breaking strength. Galvanized is what they guy
power poles with.

Casady

Basically using galvanized wire rope just takes a LOT more
maintenance, and a LOT more time to build. If you are doing your own
work then perhaps it is more economical, but if you are paying others
the it is doubtful

The first problem comes when you attempt to locate proper heavy duty
thimbles for the eyes. Damned hard to find. Next comes splicing the
eyes in the cables. Again, if you can do it yourself and have the
tools then go for it but if you are paying rigger's rates then get
your wallet ready.

Now you have the cables cut, spliced around proper heavy duty
thimbles. Next step is to worm, parcel and serve all splices and
usually the lower cables up 10 - 15 feet above the deck. Once that is
done you need to mix up some slushing and paint the cables, working it
well into the wrappings.

Now! At last, you can rig the boat. But remember that annually you
will need to inspect, replace worn wrappings and re-slush all the
cables and slushing is a mixture of tar, oil, Japan dryer and various
other arcane substances. (think roofing tar) so don't even begin to
think about slushing down the rigging while in a marina slip as you
will sprinkle not only your deck but your neighbor's decks with
sticky, black, tarry gunk.

Now, having said all that you might be interested that properly
maintained galvanized rigging will out last stainless.

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce where the hell do you get that idea? spend a couple pennies more
and get the better galv.
you just described what i do to my standing rigging and mine is all
manella and hemp. yes with proper care galv will out last SS but the
level of care is not serving the bloody thing. you soak the cable warm
for a bit till the grave penetrates the core and then gravy the
outside about twice a year.

If you want galvanize to last 15 - 20 - 30 years, or longer, then you
do it the old fashioned way I described. Otherwise you will be
changing the stuff every ten years or so.

Hell, I've seen boats rigged with telephone pole cables and cable
clips. It works but you get to replace the rigging pretty often.

If your standing rigging is all hemp and manila how are you making
the terminations? Spliced eyes or served?
Cheers,

Bruce

depends on where it is. on most they go to the upper dead eye and eye
spliced the wormed puddinged out parceled and served then a leather
is sewn in and well oiled. the lower dead eyes are strapped and the
lanyard is wormed parceled and served as well. each bolt that has a
line to it has a thimble and a spliced eye treated the same . this is
how my cargo boom mast and stops are set up

Which is partially what I was talking about.

How much per shroud/stay for a rigger to do all this splicing -
serving - parceling -etc plus the annual inspection and re-slushing?
As apposed to cutting a length of stainless and either swedging a
terminal on the ends, or screwing on a sta-lock fitting. Inspection is
a yearly look at the terminals with a magnifying glass.

Just as the old cotton sails, the initial motivation is to decrease
maintenance.
Cheers,

Bruce

once the rigging is up it hardly takes much time. I understand the
Maintainer time issue, I dont tend to agree with it but i do
understand. However i have yet to see anyone running Galve that spends
much time on the rigging. certs not more than a day a year. IMO folks
should take a day a year and run through the rigging in any case. Ahh
well I'll keep mine no matter its quiet and easy to work. I am a lazy
old troll.