[email protected] LoogyPicker@gmail.com is offline

Default Boat building vs camper building

On Feb 9, 8:33*pm, HK wrote:
Don White wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
On Feb 9, 2:58 pm, wrote:
On Feb 9, 2:53 pm, "Don White" wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
On Feb 9, 12:51 pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On Feb 9, 12:46 pm, wrote:
On Feb 9, 11:55 am, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
On Feb 9, 11:27 am, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
I am building a version of Glen-L "Importer" slide in truck
mounted
camper for my Nissan Frontier and I thought my experience
with
building 4 boats would be helpful but the techniques are
very
different. *The camper has 1"X2" framing with 3/16 ply on
the
inside
and Aluminum sheet on the outside. *From a boat building
perspective,
structurally, this sounds like crap. *I am desperately
trying to
suppress my normal tendency to think "Hey, I've got a better
way"
because my wife wants it to look good so I am really trying
follow
directions. *I am liberally applying epoxy to all joined
surfaces
instead of simply using wood glue as per directions but the
whole
process seems "wrong" still. *Unfortunately, the design is
from
1972
before epoxy was available. *I would really prefer a design
similar to
boat building where strength is obtained from rounded shapes
covered
with glass and epoxy, sort of a stitch and glue camper. *I
will
glass
some of the joints that I think need it. *I'd glass the
whole
thing
but weight is an issue.
Will yours look like this?
http://www.belairshells.com/generic.tpl?PageName=11
Or are you building something embarrassing?
Harry, I am totally oblivious to things that would embarass
most
people. *What I build might embarass my wife though. *No, the
camper
topper you show costs so little that I'd just go buy one.
What i
want
is a slide in cab-over hard shell camper like the ones made by
Lance.
I do not want one with pop up canvas because I will be in
places
with
bears, wolves and panthers (Wyoming) and although I have
camped
with
bears wandering round my tent (even wandering round me
sleeping
outside my tent) I feel I have "been there, done that" and
want the
peace of mind of hard sides.
Why not just buy one?
http://www.six-pac.com/fits.htm-Hidequotedtext-
Because some people take pride in crafting something using their
own
given skills. And unlike you, most people are skilled enough to do
so.
I just wanted to make something else. *I figure that if this is
successful, my wife might give in to my plans to rebuild the old log
cabin on our WY property.
I thought that building the Tolman would convince my wife that I was
competent to make things but she does not like power boats. *So, now
am doing the dog fence (fencing in nearly an acre) but she keeps
changing her mind about how it should look. *So, when we take the
camper to WY and are staying right next to the cabin, she will not be
able to doubt my ability to rebuild the cabin. *Of course, I'll
probably rebuild the cabin anyway regardless of what she wants (She
wants a "real" cabin with actual appliances, BORING.)
Too bad you couldn't take your fence building skills down to Atlanta
and
enclose LoonyTunes and his 'winter crop'.
The law-abidin' citizens of Georgia would appreciate it.- Hide quoted
text -
Are you accusing me of breaking laws? Which ones?
If it weren't for the dogs, I dont b'leve in fences. *I'd rather see
the neighbor kids cutting through my yard so I know what they are
doing. *On the WY property, I took the fence down and told the
neighbors to feel free to cut across it to get to the snowmobile
trails. *I figure that if they go across my property, they'll look
after the place when I am not there.

You've never met LoonyTunes, JustHate & their ilk.
Best to keep them fenced in on their property, or fenced out of yours.

You mean, they're not wearing their ankle bracelet locators anymore?- Hide quoted text -

Harry, why would I have one? Once again, acting like you know all
about me, you lying fat piece of ****.