[email protected] LoogyPicker@gmail.com is offline

Default Boat building vs camper building

On Feb 9, 11:55*am, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
On Feb 9, 11:27 am, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
I am building a version of Glen-L "Importer" slide in truck mounted
camper for my Nissan Frontier and I thought my experience with
building 4 boats would be helpful but the techniques are very
different. *The camper has 1"X2" framing with 3/16 ply on the inside
and Aluminum sheet on the outside. *From a boat building perspective,
structurally, this sounds like crap. *I am desperately trying to
suppress my normal tendency to think "Hey, I've got a better way"
because my wife wants it to look good so I am really trying to follow
directions. *I am liberally applying epoxy to all joined surfaces
instead of simply using wood glue as per directions but the whole
process seems "wrong" still. *Unfortunately, the design is from 1972
before epoxy was available. *I would really prefer a design similar to
boat building where strength is obtained from rounded shapes covered
with glass and epoxy, sort of a stitch and glue camper. *I will glass
some of the joints that I think need it. *I'd glass the whole thing
but weight is an issue.
Will yours look like this?

http://www.belairshells.com/generic.tpl?PageName=11

Or are you building something embarrassing?

Harry, I am totally oblivious to things that would embarass most
people. *What I build might embarass my wife though. *No, the camper
topper you show costs so little that I'd just go buy one. *What i want
is a slide in cab-over hard shell camper like the ones made by Lance.
I do not want one with pop up canvas because I will be in places with
bears, wolves and panthers (Wyoming) and although I have camped with
bears wandering round my tent (even wandering round me sleeping
outside my tent) I feel I have "been there, done that" and want the
peace of mind of hard sides.

Why not just buy one?

http://www.six-pac.com/fits.htm- Hide quoted text -

Because some people take pride in crafting something using their own
given skills. And unlike you, most people are skilled enough to do so.