HK HK is offline

Default Boat building vs camper building

Frogwatch wrote:
On Feb 9, 11:27 am, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
I am building a version of Glen-L "Importer" slide in truck mounted
camper for my Nissan Frontier and I thought my experience with
building 4 boats would be helpful but the techniques are very
different. The camper has 1"X2" framing with 3/16 ply on the inside
and Aluminum sheet on the outside. From a boat building perspective,
structurally, this sounds like crap. I am desperately trying to
suppress my normal tendency to think "Hey, I've got a better way"
because my wife wants it to look good so I am really trying to follow
directions. I am liberally applying epoxy to all joined surfaces
instead of simply using wood glue as per directions but the whole
process seems "wrong" still. Unfortunately, the design is from 1972
before epoxy was available. I would really prefer a design similar to
boat building where strength is obtained from rounded shapes covered
with glass and epoxy, sort of a stitch and glue camper. I will glass
some of the joints that I think need it. I'd glass the whole thing
but weight is an issue.

Will yours look like this?

http://www.belairshells.com/generic.tpl?PageName=11

Or are you building something embarrassing?

Harry, I am totally oblivious to things that would embarass most
people. What I build might embarass my wife though. No, the camper
topper you show costs so little that I'd just go buy one. What i want
is a slide in cab-over hard shell camper like the ones made by Lance.
I do not want one with pop up canvas because I will be in places with
bears, wolves and panthers (Wyoming) and although I have camped with
bears wandering round my tent (even wandering round me sleeping
outside my tent) I feel I have "been there, done that" and want the
peace of mind of hard sides.

Why not just buy one?

http://www.six-pac.com/fits.htm