Rosalie B.

Default Moving boat from Los Angeles to Florida (Vero Beach)

x-no-archive:yes
"Lefty" wrote:

Wolf wrote:
Semi relaxed, the goal would be to get it to Florida ASAP but without
an crazy schedule and enough time to make adjustments for weather or
to take a breather.

my non-expert opinion would be that if you don't really want to visit
all the places in-between, ship it. but that's just me.

Sounds like you've made your decision, but let me add my 2 cents.

We have friends who went from Marathon Florida to San Francisco, and
return. From FL to CA they shipped over land. They came back down
the coast of Mexico and through the Panama Canal.

They had these factors in their favor:

a) They'd owned the boat a long time and had upgraded her considerably
including a new engine and sails. They had also done considerable
cruising in Marathon before they left and in San Francisco while they
lived there.

b) They retired in order to take the trip and so were on no schedule.

c) Both of the couple were fluent in Spanish - his mom didn't speak
any English.

d) They were both long term hams.

e) Their boat was a CSY 44 WT

They started out with the Baha Haha in 2001 and went down to Mexico.
They were having so much fun down there that they stayed a year extra.
They just got home to Marathon this June (2003)

Notes on their trip are at
http://www.marill.com/siesta/Southbo...f_contents.htm
..

Now this was definitely a 'stop and smell the roses' type cruise - no
schedule at all. And they could have done it faster - probably could
knock a year or so off without a problem. But it still took almost a
year for them to do.

grandma Rosalie