Marty[_2_] Marty[_2_] is offline

Default New VHF

Capt. JG wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
I don't have a chartplotter (and an AIS), sadly. It's not in my budget
until 2011 at least.

You've got a laptop; there's no reason not to have a chartplotter.

You can get Bluetooth GPS puck, or even a USB puck for about 40 bucks,
SeaClear II is free, raster charts (BSB) are free from NOAA.

I have an articulated monitor arm bolted to the inside of the aft saloon
bulkhead beside the companionway that lets me extend a slave LCD display
into the companionway visible from the cockpit. I also I a Bluetooth
trackball that I can use from the cockpit, so the lap stays inside high
and dry. If things start to get wet it's simple to push the slave screen
back into the cockpit out of the weather.

Cheers
Martin

I know, I know. I have a laptop, but it's a beast... 17" monitor, which I
use for work-stuff and another laptop, also for work. I would actually have
to buy another laptop, which would put me in the techno-geek-nerd category
(well, higher up in the category). (I also have three base systems, one of
which is a Mac.)

I already have SeaClear on the 17" laptop, along with a bunch of rasters.
I'm just loath to haul it around and can't leave it on the boat.

Something wrong with being a techno-geek-nerd? Thank God for Obama,
maybe it'll be good to be smart rather than a close minded jerk who
thinks pro wrestling is real.

I've got much the same, less the Mac. I haul one of my laptops around
all the time, that's the idea behind them, portability, computing
anywhere.... I'm really bad, I have a good enough antenna system on my
wireless router that I can get a connection in the boat before I get to
my dock... gotta love it.

Remember, the next time you think you're a techno geek, Ham operators
make us look normal...

Cheers
Martin