Jere Lull

Default Impeller Change

Brian Whatcott wrote:

On 30 Aug 2003 19:24:36 GMT, (Baybyter) wrote:

When replacing the impeller in a raw water pump on a diesel engine, that is
sealed with a paper gasket, is it necessary to "paint" the gasket with silicone
or some other type of sealant when replacing the cover?

That might be a good idea - can't see it doing much harm.

Since the impeller depends upon close tolerance around the edges, I'd
not increase the thickness of the seal at all. Otherwise, your pump may
not work as well as you like. Just make sure the old one is all gone and
put the new one on. If pumps needed more than a paper gasket to work
properly, the manufacturers would sell them to you.

Also, I've heard that coating the impeller vanes with any kind of petroleum
based product, like Vaseline, ( to ease the installation) could cause the
neoprene vanes to swell or otherwise be damaged. Is this true? What about the
use of ordinary dishwashing liquid?

Dishwashing liquid should be a good bet. I might even try a vegetable
oil - a smear of olive oil perhaps?

Impellers are easy to install. A bit of spit would suffice for that. I
put a light oil in to ease the initial spin-up, expecting water to be
the primary lubricant after that.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: