Jere Lull

Default Any opinions out there on the Volvo MD11C?

MLapla4120 wrote:

I have a spare engine that is disassembled (MD11C) that is ten years
younger than my current MD2B volvo. My current engine is limping along
and I want to reassemble and install the MD11C.

I would check back a year or two in a Google search on those two
engines. There was a thread about one Volvo that was a somewhat higher
power version of the old reliable original. It wasn't nearly as
bulletproof. Depending on your needs, rebuilding the MD2B might be a
better solution in the long run.

Mechanics estimates to do the work are exceedingly high and with about
$2500 more, I could have a new Yanmar.

I doubt that figure greatly. Almost everything will have to be changed
out unless you're lucky. Our Yanmar replaced a gas Volvo, but I believe
the MD2B was an option at the time and dropped in. Installation, a new
bed, shaft, prop and so forth for our Yanmar was about $6k, and I
wouldn't have been comfortable about doing much of the vital work myself.

Do you have any suggestions on how I could get this engine together and
installed cheaply? I'm willing to do the scutwork but don't have a place or
tools currently. By the way, mounts are practically the same.

I'd do the work. Not only will that improve your tool kit (most of which
should be on the boat, anyway, along with the engine manual), but you'll
know how it all fits together. In a pinch, your "place" could be the
main cabin.

--
Jere Lull